In honour of National Laundry Day coming up on April 15th, I thought it might be fun to share my thoughts and tips on how to design the perfect space for doing the job I think most of us would rather avoid if we could. As with any design plan, creating an environment that feels ‘you’ and reflective of your personal style is what makes a house feel like a home…the laundry room is definitely no different and should speak to the aesthetic of the rest of your space, but is also an area that (because often separated a bit from the more open spaces,) can showcase a slightly bolder and more playful approach.
When putting together a design scheme for the laundry room:
– Pick colours and finishes that work with the rest of your home but are potentially bolder or more saturated…you want to feel happy and energized in your laundry room so pick a shades you love for the main elements in the room.
– Don’t be afraid of adding a little pattern with wallpaper or backsplash.
– Select a countertop material that’s durable and resistant to heat and water.
– Choose top loader washer and dryers to improve ergonomics, functionality, and ease of use…they hold 17% more clothing than front loaders!
– Look for appliance finishes that are classic and won’t date…I particularly love charcoal grey because of how well it works with any palate.
– Modern appliances are sleek and modern in design…take advantage of their stylish appearance and make them a feature element in your design scheme!
– Look for an Energy Star rated washer and dryer set that will save you money on electricity and water consumption.
– Don’t be afraid to accessorize your laundry room like you would any other space in the home…art is a must!
– Laminate flooring is a great choice for durability…I’m in love with oak herringbone and think it adds such a beautiful elegance to any design.
– Make sure there’s a sink for convenience and select tapware that works with other elements in the room but don’t worry about necessarily having everything match…a brass faucet can definitely still work with appliances that have chrome or stainless finishes.
– Don’t forget about the lighting! Yes you need task fixtures for sure but a decorative/statement fixture will help your laundry space feel layered and interesting.
With these tips in mind, I put together a little inspiration board that shows must my dream laundry room of today would look like…
I’m loving dark mossy green so decided to put that colour on the cabinets. To bring in some warmth, I added the laminate herringbone on the floors and a graphic area rug. I also brought in some brass and bronze accents i.e. the faucet, hardware and lighting fixture to again, make the space feel cosy and inviting. I chose GE’s Designer Line top loading washer and dryer that in a dark grey finish, look beautiful against the cabinets and tie together well with the super white granite countertops. To finish the space and add some layers/texture, I accessorized with natural elements like the wicker baskets and branches. A modern artistic portrait and toy dog were little touches that added some character and whimsy to the design.
And now for the best part of this little laundry post…because I love you and pretty appliances so much, I’m thrilled to be able to offer up an incredible GIVEAWAY just in time for #nationallaundryday!! For your chance to WIN a beautiful GE Designer Line washer and dryer …
…simply type the word ‘laundry’ in the comments below. I’ll draw for the winner on the big day April 15th!
Good luck and happy laundering!!! xx